ISSN 1411-2671 (Cetak); 2310-7945 (Online)
Vol. 7 / No. 1 / Published : 2005-04
Original Article :
A Theory of Counseling
A Theory of Counseling
- M.M.W. Tairas --> Dosen Psikologi Unair / www.fpsi.unair.ac.id
A theory may be viewed as an intellectual model designed to explain and predict phenomena, in this case human behavior. Counseling is a profession with history and set of standards distinct from other related discipline, and activity, involves a relationship, is multidimensional, dealing with human feelings, thoughts, and behaviors as well as with the past, present and future. What is behavior? Behavior is anything that a person says or does. How we feel about ourselves influences our behavior in many situation. Past, present, future affect behavior. Personality change during the lifespan. The understanding of personality change can help counselor to treat the counselee on an appropriate way. Each individual is the product of many strands – the blending of the biological and the cultural, the intertwining of thought and feeling, the synthesis of inner strings and external pressures. The pathway and adults follow, is affected by whole range of factor such as person’s psychology, personality and sociology. The healthy person is likely to have grown up in a family where the parents modeled how to choose attainable goal, effective and flexible ways of understanding and solving problem. Healthy person have the courage to do their best to accomplish the task of life as they understand them, take risk and be content to do “good enough” rather than perfectly, and thus to face life squarely without evasion or excuse. The idea of sickness as the cause of personal problems which all motions of human responsibility. The person must understand that they can do more than they think they can do. The person must think clearly and rationally, full more appropriately, and act make efficiently and effectively in achieving goals of living happily. The person understand their believe and values have confidence in them and make choices based on them, that can lead to new direction in living. To understand oneself is often a first step in healing. One goal of counseling is for an objective perceptually alert helper to assist those being helped to get a time picture of what is going on within themselves and within the world around them, Counseling seeks to stimulate personality growth and development, to help individual cope more effectively with the problem of life, with inner conflict and with crippling emotions. To provide encouragement and guidance for those are facing losses or disappointments, and to assists persons whose live patterns are self-defeating and causing unhappiness.
- J.E. Adam, (1982). Competent to Counsel (14th ed). Michigan : Baker Book House.
- H. Bee, (1994). Lifespan Development.. New York : Harper Collins College Publisher.
- G.R. Collins, (1982). Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide.. Waco, Texas : Word Books Publisher.
- G.R. Collins, (1980). Helping People Grow: Practical Approaches to Christian Counseling.. Santa Ana, California : Vision House Publisher.
- G.J. Craig, (1996). Human Development.. Upper Saddle River,New Jersey : Prentice Hall
- D. Geldard, (1989). Basic Personal Counseling.. New York : Prentice Hall, Division of Simon & Schuster
- L.A. Hjelle, (1992). Personality Theories: Basic Assumptions, Research, and Applications. (3rd ed). New York : Mcraw-Hill International Editions.
- D.J. Ziegler, (1992). Personality Theories: Basic Assumptions, Research, and Applications. (3rd ed). New York : Mcraw-Hill International Editions.
- S.L. Jones, (1991). Modern Psychotherapies.. Downees Grove, Illinois : Inter Varsity Press
- R.E. Butman, (1991). Modern Psychotherapies.. Downees Grove, Illinois : Inter Varsity Press
- J.A. Kottler, (1996). Introduction to Therapeutic Counseling (7th edition).. New York : Holt, Tinehard and Winston, Inc.
- R.W. Brown, (1996). Introduction to Therapeutic Counseling (7th edition).. New York : Holt, Tinehard and Winston, Inc.
- G. Martin, (1992). Behavior modifications: What it is and how to do it (4th edition).. Englewood Cliff, New Jersey : Prentice Hall, Inc
- J. Pear, (1992). Behavior modifications: What it is and how to do it (4th edition).. Englewood Cliff, New Jersey : Prentice Hall, Inc
- L.A. Pervin, (1993). Personality: Theory and Research (6th ed).. New York : John Wiley & Sons, inc.
- R.S. Sharf, (2000). Theories of Psychotherapy & Counseling: Concepts and Cases (2nd ed).. Belmont, CA, USA : Brooks/ Cole, Thomson Learning.
Volume : 7 / No. : 1 / Pub. : 2005-04